Friday, October 5, 2012

Capture Your Grief Day 4

Treasured Item
 
One of the treasured items of mine is this porcelain heart.  It isn't anything fancy or costly.  In fact, if one didn't know the story it might end up on the shelf of a local thrift store.  Yet this heart in irreplacable.  One of my labor and delivery nurses, Dianna, gave it to me shortly after I delivered Callie.  She had been my nurse most of the time I was in the hospital.  She was so kind to us, allowing us time to wrap our heads around what was happening.  Though she was kind and compassionate, she never showed much emotion.  After Callie was born, Dianna came to me with this small box.  She handed it to me and with tears in her eyes, she explained that I could do whatever I wanted with it.  I could keep both pieces or give the small heart inside to Callie or I could give her the larger heart.  She said it was just a small  mememto.  We chose to bury Callie with the small heart in her hand.  So, you see, she truly has a piece of our hearts.  Each member of our family also got a small porcelain stone that has the same small heart on it.  

No comments: