Monday, May 11, 2009

Mother's Day

Yesterday was Mother's Day. It was the first Mother's Day that I have enjoyed in several years. When you are trying to have a baby and are unsucessful, it is the worst reminder. Your arms ache for the baby you so desperately desire. 2 years ago we were down in Hilton Head on a family vacation. We celebrated Mother's Day and it was wonderful. We were eagerly anticipating Callie's arrival 3 short months later. I still have the cards my family gave me as we were so excited for her to come! So last year when I was pregnant and my scheduled c-section was the Monday after Mother's Day I asked my doctor a favor. I asked if we could move the c-section to Friday so that I would be able to hold my baby on Mother's Day. He agreed. What is a few more days, right? Well, as you know, things didn't go as planned. Mother's Day was horrible last year. The NICU nurses made me cards with Corban's picture which I treasure but Corban was going downhill that day. We stopped allowing anyone but Matt and I in to see him. I was so nervous to get close and bond with him. I didn't think he was going to make it and I was facing losing another baby. We prayed at his bedside every day. When we were too weak to pray so many people stepped up to pray for him.
So yesterday was a wonderful day. We really didn't do much. We just hung out and relaxed and yet it was great because I had my family together. God has blessed us with so much throughout our lives and especially within the last year. His hand was on Corban and he is such a joy!
If Mother's Day brings up bad feelings and aching arms and hearts for you, my prayers are with you. I know the feeling. I am praying for you and for all the other women in the world who dread Mother's Day, as I once did.
Blessings to you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always have aching arms on mother's day, but this year I had peace that no matter what I am in God's will and that is great. Blessing to you and may you have many more wonderful mother's days.
God bless
Mary Rodgers

Vicki said...

It was the best Mother's Day I have had in several years as well. As you are finding out, when your child hurts, you hurt. No matter what age your child is! This year was pure joy that you were able to enjoy Corban and his delightful little smile. I marvel every time I look into his eyes and remember how long we waited to see them. You are a wonderful mom and I am thrilled to see you enjoying that role. I love you and am so proud of you! I am truly blessed to have you as a daughter!