Monday, January 10, 2011

Unexpected Blessing

Happy New Year friend! It was such a wonderful time with family celebrating Christmas and ringing in the New Year. My husband and I had 2 date nights 2 weeks in a row! That is outstanding for us! We hadn't been on a date in quite awhile and it was so nice to be together, just the 2 of us. On one of our dates we stopped by McAlister's to pick up a gallon of sweet tea and it was closed, due to inclement weather. It wasn't snowing or anything--I don't think there was even any snow on the ground either! Such an adjustment to things down here in Georgia! After our Christmas celebration at our house with my parents we went to my sister's house. I was able to meet my new nephew and love on him for a bit. He is so precious! Then we headed further north to my in-laws. We had a nice time celebrating with them and then at the last minute had a change in plans and we were able to head even further north and stay at my parent's house. It was an unexpected blessing in a couple of ways. They are moving and this was probably the last time we were able to go "home" to this house. This house holds special meaning as we held our rehearsal dinner here, lived here quite a few times in between jobs, moves and while Corban was in the NICU. It was our first stop after we left the NICU with Corban. It is also the home we brought Ellie to and lived with her first 6 months. Memories.
The next blessing was in the fact that we were able to go and visit Callie's grave. As I mentioned in a previous post, this was something I had wanted to do before we moved. Now that my parents are moving it was increasingly important to us. So we went and visited. We said "good bye" to the last spot on earth where she was laid. It seemed surreal. We live 8 1/2 hours away and it seems like a bad memory. Yet as I look at my walls and bookcase I realize it is not merely a memory but a piece of my life and my story that has changed me forever.
What unexpected blessings these were to wrap up this chapter of our lives. To say our goodbyes. It seemed fitting that these events would bring 2010 to a close.
I would also like to take a moment to say that though we have experienced loss I am so thankful to the Lord for the blessings He has given to us. I have been hearing many stories of loss in recent days. Babies with medical conditions who haven't made it. Babies with medical conditions who are still struggling. Babies who never even took their first breath. And Mommies who desperately wish for a baby. These stories break my heart, time and again. I remember how blessed I am. Truly blessed.
God's blessings to you in the new year!

No comments: